htq2 0.2 – All hard work has been done!

All of new features have been finally developed and done and now it’s time to do the polishing and some exhausting evaluation, but as I write in this moment I just can’t simply avoid this surprising fact: htq2 0.2 to this day it’s ALMOST working out-of-the-box with SDL2 OS X port, in fact building it against SDL2 on OS X has showed me some weird behaviors about what SDL_SetRelativeMouseMode and SDL_WarpMouseInWindow are supposed to be, it seems that there are strange things around SDL2 in it’s way to its rock-steady stability, my guess is that htq2 development will go along with that of SDL2.

I just can’t wait for SDL2’s first patch, and for that I’ve been making some isolated tests of my own with the latest bleeding-edge SDL2 source on most platforms, just to see what it’s made of. The good news is that the SDL2 backend is working well on my Ubuntu box (and this will be the focus about SDL2 on 0.2 milestone). There have been some minor SDL2- related issues when it comes to switching to full screen with an OpenGL context set on (you can see the bug I recently posted on their Bugzilla), I’ve managed to get rid of it but its likely going to take some time before we see some real stability on SDL2, not much time I guess, these guys are great developers and therefore I’m sure that they’ll tackle those bugs quickly.

Well … enough has been said, htq2 0.2 is rolling and it’ll be released soon :), it’ll be just a matter of time, the code needs some tweaking (maybe some fixes) and further evaluation. As always, you’re invited to clone the htq2 repo on GitHub for getting in touch with its latest development state.

Auf Wiedersehen
Alejandro

Advertisements
htq2 0.2 – All hard work has been done!

htq2 – SDL2 backend in the works!

As of today, I’ve been working on an experimental branch towards SDL2 migration and I can tell you people that it’s cooking really nice!, all of it has been built along with SDL1 with certain code separation via some preprocessor directives generated at config time, I’m really loving this baby so far.  This brand new and shiny SDL2 backend is now on its heaviest development state and it will be eventually merged onto the master branch when I consider it appropriate (when it gets a little more decent if I may be sincere with you). Of course it’s working, it compiles and runs without any crashes at least, it has some flaws and deficiencies, but as you know SDL2 is barely seeing the light of dawn, as soon as it made it to RC1 I got interested to finally use it and give it a try. SDL2 so far has proven to be potentially the greatest feature present in htq2 for its v0.2 release!. Continue reading “htq2 – SDL2 backend in the works!”

htq2 – SDL2 backend in the works!

Hecatomb Quake II v0.1.0 released!

I have spent the last five (5) weeks writing a portable Quake II client based mostly on Yamagi Quake II, it has been made mostly towards being a highly portable Q2 client.

Initial patching of the original YQ2 source code has diverged into my own project: Hecatomb (a.k.a. htq2), a Quake II client who’s being intensely developed towards high portability. The name came to my mind after I realized I had to do almost groundbreaking changes, hence that name, which in fact is also an allusion to a very old and cancelled game project back in the 90’s in which John Romero had something to do with. Serious decisions are being made by me at this point of its current ongoing development. Continue reading “Hecatomb Quake II v0.1.0 released!”

Hecatomb Quake II v0.1.0 released!